Chronological History of Marywood

Mother M. Germaine ONeill Mother M. Casimir Murray Mother Mary William Craig Mother M. Josepha Hurley Sister M. Marcella Gill Sister M. Sylvia Morgan Sister M. Eugenia Kealey Sister M. St. Mary Orr Sister M. Coleman Nee Sister Mary Reap Sister Anne Munley
<< 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 >>
1952

Marywood celebrates its first Marriage and Family Life Institute, the first of six, sponsored by the Religion and Social Sciences Departments, Lent. As a public service, free tickets are distributed to regional social workers of all faiths. The Institute furnishes area adults with exceptional lectures by prominent speakers on the subject of family roles and relationships.
1952

The Music Department holds a workshop for area teachers, addressing the novel concept of an integrated school music program from kindergarten through the senior year.
1952

Bishop Hafey dedicates four new buildings: Alumnae Residence Hall, Good Counsel Science Hall, Rosary Field House, and Assumption Hall (Fine Arts Building/Auditorium), October 7. Archbishop Patrick O'Boyle of Washington, D.C., is the principal speaker for the occasion. Mayor James Hanlon proclaims "Marywood Week" throughout the city to coincide with the dedication ceremonies.
1952

The Marywood Players present Brigadoon for five nights. The leading man is played by Joseph Barrett, a student at The University of Scranton and later a member of Marywood's graduate Psychology Department.
1952

Marywood receives approval for the Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology.
1952

The St. Cuthbert chapter of the Future Teachers of America is established at Marywood.
1952

The Drama Department's course, Aesthetics, an outgrowth of Catholic University's experiments with the subject, wins mention in a Theatre Arts magazine editorial for its efforts to foster in students the capacity for artistic discrimination.