Artist unknown. Design intends to capture in image and words the meaning of the title of the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Copy of DEED from the Pennsylvania Coal Company to the IHM Congregation, dated March 30, 1895, signed by Mother Mary Jackson, IHM and by Samuel Thorne, President of the coal company. Purchase price $24,000.
Map shows the thirty acres, bounded by Adams Avenue on the west, by Pennsylvania Coal Company lands on the north and east; by Forest Hill Cemetery and private lots owned by Jacob Deatrich, Victor Koch, and H.G. Dunham.
Copy of deed signed by Victor Koch and Bishop Michael J. Hoban (for the IHM Congregation), signed September 21, 1903. The purchase price for 54,908.7 square feet of land at the intersection of Adams Avenue and Seminary Street was $6,500.
The cornerstone for Mt. St. Mary’s, the original motherhouse of the Sisters of IHM, was laid on November 3, 1900. The four-story structure, which included a wing for Marywood Seminary, a beautiful chapel, space for the novitiate classrooms, dining rooms, dormitories, and housing for the faculty of both Marywood Seminary and College. The building was destroyed by fire in 1971.
Marywood Seminary opened as a wing of the new Motherhouse of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, in September, 1902. It was an all-girl elementary and high school facility, which was open to both day and boarding students. Its high school curriculum was classical, preparing young women for entrance into college. By 1914 it was fully accredited by the Pennsylvania School Board of Education.
Left to Right:
First Row:Helen Cavanaugh, Stella Tierney, Winifred Sullivan, Agnes Brown.
Second Row:Estelle Codori, Loretto Reddington, Ruth Fitzsimmons, May Devine,
May Poland, Mary Bosak, Cecilia Keeling, Anna Collier.
Third Row: Nora Reddington, Marie McCawley, Anna Murrin, Mary Doudigan
(Sr. Redempta,ihm), Regina Healey, Anna Podrasky (Sr.Cyril,ss.cm)
Marywood Seminary students enjoying the vast open fields in the early 1900’s; now, in 2011, replaced by many Marywood University buildings.
Description of courses of study in the arts and sciences pursued by Marywood Seminary high school students, together with dress code and other regulations.
Marywood students being photographed on the east veranda of Mt. St. Mary’s motherhouse. The verandas were added in 1904 through a generous gift from the Priests of the Scranton Diocese.
The Lackawanna and Wyoming Railroad Company was planning an extension between Scranton and Carbondale. They had surveyed the land and acquired the right of eminent domain to run the railroad through the motherhouse grounds. Mother Cyril met with the railroad officials to voice objections to their invasion of Mt. St. Mary’s property. Her pleadings were heard. This rather miraculous result was attributed to the prayers of the Sisters, and the promise made to build a shrine to Our Lady of Victory if the proposed railroad did not go through. Three years later, about 1904, the Shrine was dedicated by Bishop Hoban. The shrine was the gift of two priests of the Scranton Diocese, Reverends John and Daniel Dunn.
Seventeen of the original thirty-four students, including four IHM Sisters, completed the four-year curriculum which led to the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music, or Bachelor of Science degree. The first commencement was held in June, 1919.
The Bayleaf, a quarterly literary magazine began in 1919. It derived its name from the ancient Greek and Roman custom of crowning heroes and poets with wreaths of bay leaves.
Three structures were on the land purchased in 1895 as the future site of the motherhouse of the Sisters of IHM and Marywood College and Seminary. These included the Carriage House, a small cottage, and a greenhouse. In 1926 the Carriage House was converted into a two-story Science Building and served in that capacity until after World War II.
The Liberal Arts Building, the first of Marywood College buildings, was dedicated on March 25, 1924. A focal point of the campus, the two-story Liberal Arts Building with its enormous gold-leafed dome and striking marble and terrazzo floors, originally contained administrative and faculty offices, the library, and the cafeteria. The Rotunda remained unfinished until 1937.
Work on this imposing space was conducted by Mother Josepha Hurley from 1935 through 1937 when it reached completion. Seventy-two feet in diameter, with a dome rising high above a second-floor mezzanine, the rotunda was spectacular. On March 22, 1935 a contract was signed between Professor Gonippo Raggi, professional artist and sculptor, and Mother Josepha for the completion of the rotunda. Architect Anthony dePace of New York was the designer. 24 columns in scagliola, twelve column bases in Italian marble, colored marble four-foot six inch wainscoating around the sides of the entire rotunda, Tennessee pink marble floor with green marble diamonds, 16 paintings referencing the arts and sciences, and biblical themes—all astound the viewer, and does to this day. This marvel of art and architecture was achieved at the mere cost of $65,000.
Right Reverend M.J. Hoban, D.O., Bishop of Scranton