Financial Aid Eligibility Policies

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The US Department of Education requires the University to establish a Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Eligibility that describes the academic criteria a student must meet to maintain eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid.  Please click here for information on Marywood’s Satisfactory Academic Policy.

Official Withdrawal/Cancellation from the University

If you withdraw during a semester in which you are receiving financial aid, you may be required to repay some or all of the financial aid you received for the term. The amount of aid you must repay will depend upon your date of withdrawal. Federal financial aid regulations specify that you “earn” your financial aid by remaining enrolled through more than 60% of the entire semester for which you receive aid. If you withdraw prior to that time, you must repay the aid you did not “earn” based on the federal formula. 

Pennsylvania and other state grants will be adjusted in accordance with each agency’s stated guidelines. It is expected that PHEAA Grant funds will be reduced by the same percent reduction in tuition received by a student when completely withdrawing from the University.

Marywood University grants and scholarships will be adjusted based upon the percentage of reduction of tuition received by a student when withdrawing from the University AND ONLY to the extent that those institutional funds do not create nor contribute to a credit balance.  Marywood University funding may only be applied towards tuition and will not be applied to any institutional fees, room charges, or meal plan charges.

Additional information on the withdrawal and refund policies at Marywood University is available.  Before you decide to withdraw from the University, you should contact the Financial Aid Office and the Cashier’s Office to determine the amount(s) and type(s) of aid you may have to repay. Specific information regarding the University’s refund policy may be obtained from the University Cashier’s Office.

Depending on the date of your withdrawal, you may also receive a tuition credit which may offset a portion of the aid repayment. Please visit the University Cashier's Office website for more details.

Unofficial Withdrawal/Cancellation from the University

It is also important to note that federal regulations also govern "unofficial" withdrawals.  As stated in the regulations on federal aid:

"If a student who began attendance and has not officially withdrawn fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered over an entire period, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn, unless the institution can document that the student completed the period."

Therefore, if you do not achieve a passing grade in any of your courses in a given semester or summer session, you will be considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University during that enrollment period and may be required to repay all or a portion of the aid that you did not earn.

Census Date Enrollment

The Census date is the last date to drop or add a course with a tuition credit.  The Federal Pell Grant Program and some Marywood University grants and scholarships require that if your award has already been determined as of the census date, your enrollment as of that date is the enrollment status that must be used to determine or re-determine your eligibility for those programs. In some cases, students are able to add coursework after the census date. However, even in these circumstances, the enrollment status as of the census date must be used for these programs.  Summer census dates are not tied to the university tuition refund schedule, therefore students should inquire directly with the Financial Aid Office for summer census dates.

Repeated Courses

Federal aid guidelines allow students to repeat a course that you have already passed one time ONLY. On your third enrollment in a course that you’ve successfully passed, you can no longer receive financial aid for that course.

Coursework Toward Degree

Federal guidelines will only permit students to receive financial aid for courses which apply to their degree. You may receive federal financial aid toward free electives within your degree audit, but you cannot receive aid for non-degree coursework.

Awarding of Aid

Marywood University is committed to being good stewards of institutional financial aid resources, and in doing so the University strives to provide assistance to all students who demonstrate financial need.

  • The University's priority is to first award institutional grant funding and Campus-based funding to full-time students who apply for aid by the February 15th priority deadline.

  • Applications received after February 15th are considered for federal and state aid, and for Campus-based and institutional aid as long as funds remain.

  • Institutional aid may be reduced if a student receives outside aid after the original award has been offered.

  • Federal work study is offered first to incoming freshmen with the highest need and those who received work-study funding in the prior year. A waiting list is maintained for students who were not offered work study but wish to be considered if funds become available.

  • Loans are offered to all eligible students. Willingness to borrow a loan does not affect consideration for grant aid.

  • Part-time students receive reduced federal and state funding but are not eligible for undergraduate university merit awards or an undergraduate university need-based grant. Part-time students are eligible for federal student loans if enrolled on at least a half-time basis (a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester for undergraduates and a minimum of 3 credits hours per semester for graduate students).

5- to 6-year bachelor's to master's programs

When a student is enrolled in a program with a Master's degree component, s/he may only use a Marywood University Merit Award until s/he is deemed to have completed his/her Bachelor's degree.  For some students and programs this may be 7 semesters, for others, it may be 10 semesters.  Students are advised to review their program carefully and speak with someone from the Financial Aid Office if they have questions.

Housing Status Change

Undergraduate students that move off-campus may likely experience a reduction in institutional need-based funds in order to reflect the appropriate award level for an off-campus or commuter student.  On-campus resident students are advised to speak with someone in the Financial Aid Office before moving off-campus. 

Financial aid Disbursement

Scholarships and grants; which include university merit and need-based funds, Pell Grants, SEOG and PHEAA grants, will normally be applied toward your university charges during the ten days immediately preceding the first day of each semester.  Student loans will normally be applied toward your university charges on the first day of each semester.

Financial Aid awarded and administered by the Financial Aid Office (except Federal Work Study) is disbursed by the Cashier’s Office.   Financial aid is first used to pay any outstanding tuition, fees, room and board charges for each semester.  If you are due a refund, you will be notified by the Cashier’s Office via email.  Students are encouraged to sign up for eRefunds to receive their refunds most efficiently.  Students receiving checks may pick them up at the Cashier’s Office, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  All students must show their student ID card or driver’s license when picking up refund checks.

*Student’s participating in study abroad programs that may require disbursement dates outside of the standard academic calendar should contact the Financial Aid Office..

Scholarship Disbursement

Scholarships are split into two equal disbursements, half for each semester, unless your donor requests a single disbursement.

Illegal Drug Conviction

Students who have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs may have their eligibility for federal aid revoked. For more information, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.

Loan Cancellation

If you decide to cancel a loan after funds have already been received, you should contact the Financial Aid Office within 14 days of disbursement for instructions on how to cancel that loan. 

Communication from the Financial Aid Office

Our office communicates with students primarily by sharing information online.  

  • Students should check their Marywood University student email account on a daily basis or the MarywoodYou student portal for financial aid status information.  

  • New students will receive one paper award letter; revisions to the award will be available for viewing on the MarywoodYou student portal.  

Students are sent an email notification when there are changes after the original award letter.  Similarly, when our office requires additional information, we will request documentation electronically.  We will send one paper letter detailing missing information and communicate via email after that time.

Back to top