Changes to Your Eligibility

Changes to Eligibility

The financial aid award letter that you receive is based on the information provided to us at the time your award is generated. The award can change based on subsequent changes to your financial circumstances, outside assistance, and/or enrollment plans.

Change in Circumstances

If you, your spouse's or your parents' financial circumstances have changed since you completed your FAFSA, you should contact the Financial Aid Office to report what has changed. We will evaluate your request and let you know if additional documentation is needed to support your request for reconsideration based on the change(s) you report.

Marywood University need-based funds are based on your housing status as an incoming student.  If at any point during your enrollment you decide to move off-campus or commute from home, it is possible that your need-based funds will be reduced accordingly.  For specific information about potential financial aid adjustments, students are encouraged to speak with a Financial Aid Counselor before signing any off-campus lease agreements.

Additional Aid Received

Students who receive additional sources of aid or scholarships after the start of the semester may have their awards adjusted. These adjustments are required by federal regulations to keep your total financial aid within your demonstrated need and the cost of attendance. You are responsible for reporting all outside aid that you have received or expect to receive to the Financial Aid Office using the Scholarship Notification Form.  Outside scholarships will first be used to meet any unmet financial need. If the financial need has been met and the student is receiving federal and/or state aid, the outside award will first be used to reduce or replace federal work study eligibility or federal loans.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Department of Education requires the University to establish a Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid eligibility that describes the academic criteria a student must meet to maintain eligibility for federal, state, and institutional aid.  Students who do not meet the conditions of this policy are not eligible for continued financial aid the following year. For more detailed information, please see our Satisfactory Academic Progress page.

Changes in Enrollment

If you fail to enroll for the required number of credit hours on which your award was based, drop hours, or withdraw from school, repayment of your financial aid funds will be required. The Financial Aid Office will verify your enrollment status at the point at which aid funds are credited to your account (usually just prior to the first day of classes each semester) and again at the end of the tuition refund period, (Census Date). Any change in status will likely result in an adjustment to your award and/or a required repayment of some or all of the funds disbursed to you.

Withdrawal and Repayment

If you withdraw during a semester in which you are receiving financial aid, you may be required to repay some or all of the financial aid you received for the term. The amount of aid you must repay will depend upon your date of withdrawal. Federal financial aid regulations specify that you “earn” your financial aid by remaining enrolled through more than 60% of the entire semester for which you receive aid. If you withdraw prior to that time, you must repay the aid you did not “earn” based on the federal formula. Specific information regarding the University’s refund policy may be obtained from the Cashier’s Office.

It is also important to note that federal regulations govern "unofficial" withdrawals.  As stated in the regulations on federal aid:

"If a student who began attendance has not officially withdrawn and fails to earn a passing grade in at least one course offered over an entire period, the institution must assume, for Title IV purposes, that the student has unofficially withdrawn, unless the institution can document that the student completed the period."

Therefore, if you do not achieve a passing grade in any of your courses in a given semester or summer session, you will be considered to have unofficially withdrawn from the University during that enrollment period and may be required to repay all or a portion of the aid that you did not earn.