Marywood University faculty members are encouraged to seek collaboration opportunities with scientists, researchers, colleagues, and students affiliated with other academic institutions.
In order to facilitate these interactions, while protecting Marywood University’s rights, this policy permits:
- Faculty members to engage in on-campus, hands-on open research collaboration with other professionals in the community
- Faculty members to have interchange of information
- Faculty members to provide training and educational opportunities to students
In addition, this policy protects:
- Marywood University’s existing or potential intellectual property rights
- Marywood University’s various contractual obligations
This policy will:
- Provide a mechanism for hands-on instruction and/or research collaboration capability using Marywood University faculty members, resources, and facilities, to individuals who are not members of the Marywood University community
- Provide safeguards to ensure compliance with Marywood University policies and procedures
- Provide safeguards to ensure compliance with Marywood University contractual obligations to sponsors
- Provide safeguards for Marywood University to retain original copies of laboratory notebooks
- Provide safeguards for Marywood University to require the visiting scientist to submit any reports or other outstanding documents prior to leaving Marywood University to the appropriate designated Marywood University individual
A visiting scientist is defined as anyone who will be working, training, or observing in a Marywood University laboratory and/or facility, and who is not subject to or covered as a Marywood University employee or student. A visiting scientist is someone who will have on-going, hands-on access to Marywood University facilities and resources that are not otherwise available to the public and whose work might be subject to IRB approval.
All visiting scientists are precluded from commencing any work at Marywood University until a fully-executed Visiting Scientist Agreement is obtained. Marywood University faculty members must require that a potential visiting scientist complete and submit a Visiting Scientist Agreement Form. The Visiting Scientist Agreement Form must be duly executed by all parties prior to arrival of the visiting scientist at Marywood University. If the visiting scientist will be representing an academic institution, company, or organization, or if his/her activities as a visiting scientist will be subject to employment or contractual requirements at his/her academic institution, company, or organization, the Visiting Scientist Agreement must be co-signed by the appropriate individual who is authorized to execute agreements on behalf of and bind the outside academic institution, company, or organization.
Prior to beginning research, the Visiting Scientist must complete mandatory Responsible Conduct of Research on-line training. When creating an account, individuals must associate with Marywood University in order that Research and Sponsored Programs may verify the training completion. This training may be completed on one of the following websites: www.citiprogram.org or www.responsibleresearch.org.
The Marywood University faculty member who will host the visiting scientist is responsible for having the Visiting Scientist Agreement Form signed prior to the visit. The Marywood University faculty member will complete the Visiting Scientist Agreement Questionnaire and forward the signed Visiting Scientist Agreement Form and the Visiting Scientist Agreement Questionnaire to Research and Sponsored Programs for review.
Research and Sponsored Programs reserves the right to request additional information or clarification of the information provided in order to complete the review. If changes to the agreement are requested by the visiting scientist or the visiting scientist’s academic institution, company, or organization, or if changes are deemed necessary by Research and Sponsored Programs, Research and Sponsored Programs will negotiate the changes with the visiting scientist (for agreements with individuals) or with the outside entity (for visiting scientists representing an academic institution, company, or organization).
Research and Sponsored Programs will provide a fully executed Visiting Scientist Agreement to the Marywood University faculty member.