Bayleaf Open 2019: A Celebration of Art & Literature
Open Call for Art & Writing Entries
It’s time for Marywood University’s 2nd Annual Bayleaf Open event where area high school students, students accepted to the Marywood Art and Communication Arts, English, and Foreign Languages Departments, and current Marywood students are invited to submit art and writing on a theme for a chance to participate in a public reception and celebration. Accepted artworks will be on display in the Learning Commons while selected literary works will be read aloud during the event after prizes are awarded. This event is free and open to the public. All are welcome.
Date: Sunday, April 28, 2019
Location: Marywood University Learning Commons, 2nd Floor Archives Room
- All entries—artworks and writing—must be inspired by the theme "Beauty, Environment, Culture" which is the descriptive title of one of Marywood’s new general education integrative core learning pathways.
- One entry per student. We only accept original student work.
- Open to all Marywood undergraduate students and students accepted to the Marywood Art and Communication Arts, English, and Foreign Languages Departments, as well as 11th and 12th grade high school students in Lackawanna County.
- $1,000 Marywood University scholarships will be awarded to high school students (1 art and 1 writing scholarship will be awarded to
11th gradestudents; 1 art and 1 writing scholarship will be awarded to 12th gradestudents)
- A $250 gift certificate will be awarded to the best art and the best writing submission from Marywood students.
All mediums accepted so long as the work is light enough to hang with double sided sticky tape without falling due to excessive weight.
- Size: 8.5x11 (portrait or landscape)
- Must use the card stock paper provided by your art teacher or by visiting the Art Department at Marywood, Insalaco Center for Studio Arts, Room 116.
All works must be submitted digitally through the appropriate GoogleForm link below. Poems, short stories, or essays of no more than five double-spaced pages will be considered for this competition. All work must be typed in a legible font; handwritten entries will not be accepted.
Note: At the event, you will be asked to limit your reading to a two-page excerpt.
- All submissions must be received at Marywood by Friday, April 12, 2019. The student’s name should not appear on the work. Use the cover sheet provided.
- Artwork submissions may be mailed or hand-delivered to:
Attn: Bayleaf Open 2019
Marywood Art Department
Insalaco Center for Studio Arts, Room 116
2300 Adams Avenue, Scranton, PA 18509
- Writing submissions may be uploaded to the links below:
- Works will not be returned by mail.
- All art participants will have the opportunity to retrieve their artwork from the Learning Commons in person on May 6-9, 2019
- All uncollected artwork will be discarded on May 10, 2019
- Contact us for questions about submissions:
- Art submissions: Sue Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writing submissions: Dr. Erin Sadlack at email@example.com