Nutrition and Dietetics
Lab Assistant (#938)
Summary of Duties
The Nutrition department is seeking a lab assistant to support students, faculty and the University. We are looking for an individual who is able to actively engage students in the unique learning environment of a foods lab. Labs assisted include Basic Foods, Food Science, and Social and Cultural Foods. The ability to multi-task is essential in this position. The ideal candidate for this job is resourceful, a good problem solver in the absence of the lab Faculty and has superior organization skills.
- Manage workflow ensuring that deadlines are met and work is completed timely and correctly
- Shop for groceries and supplies serving as financial steward to the university to coordinate purchase and distribution of food for all labs utilizing electronic medium to track purchases
- Keep all storage areas neat, clean and orderly per industry standards
- Restock and set up lab one hour prior to scheduled lab time
- Courteously assist students and faculty in location of equipment and supplies treating them and others with dignity and respect at all times
- Maintain an electronic inventory of all equipment in the lab reporting any issues or required repairs to supervisor utilizing work order system
- Remove and replace china, stemware and flatware to proper location maintaining accurate inventory
- Assume responsibility for maintenance and preventive maintenance of equipment within the lab
- Monitor lab clean-up utilizing strong interpersonal skills and providing constructive feedback ensuring timely release of students
- Cleans all laundry from lab utilizing facilities on premise
- Routinely discard, freeze and label any leftover items rotating stock to ensure best possible utilization
- Respond to questions, requests for information and other duties as assigned
High School Diploma
Work Experience Requirements:
Computer experience preferred but will train to include Microsoft Word, Excel, and others as needed.
Must have strong interpersonal skills and ability to work under pressure with constant interruptions. Dependable, reliable, pleasant. Professional when working with faculty, staff and students. Ability to work independently, make sound decisions, and find unusual food and grocery items.
Standing, walking, reaching, climbing on step stool, lifting/carrying up to 50# using a hand truck
How to Apply
A completed application must be on file in the Office of Human Resources.
Office of Human Resources
Liberal Arts Center 86
(Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)