Counseling: Frequently Asked Questions

When are your classes offered?

Courses are offered once per week for 3 hours Mondays through Thursdays.  Times typically are 4:00-7:00 p.m., 5:00-8:00 p.m., and 5:30-8:30 p.m.

Do you offer online courses?

Yes, several of our courses are offered online and vary by semester and instructor.  Hybrid (time spent in class and online) courses are also available. 

Do you offer courses in the summer?

Yes, we offer many core and elective classes in both Summer I (May-July) and Summer II (July-August) sessions.  Often, these courses are available at a substantial discount.

How long does each program typically take to complete?

The School Counseling program typically takes 2 years to complete.  The Clinical Mental Health Counseling program typically takes 2.5-3 years to complete.  Post masters’ program completion depends on the number of credits needed to fulfill requirements.

Factors also affecting completion time: student work and family schedules, financial circumstances, transfer of program or credits, full time or part time status, and ability to take summer classes.

Can I complete the program on a part time basis?

Yes, both programs are offered with part time options tailored to the unique needs of each student. Part time status will lengthen the program, as not all courses are offered every semester and some coursework must be completed in sequence. Upon acceptance, students are encouraged to meet with their advisers to personalize a program of study.

What are your Practicum and Internship requirements?

The Practicum requirement is 100 hours in a school or agency of a student’s choosing.

The Internship requirement is 600 hours in a school or agency of a student’s choosing.  Students completing the school counseling degree complete 300 hours in an elementary setting and 300 hours in a secondary setting.

Do I have to have a degree in Psychology in order to apply?

No, it is not required applicants have a degree in Psychology or Education order to apply for our programs.

If I have graduate credits from another institution, will they transfer to a degree or post masters’ program at Marywood?

Some prospective students may have completed graduate credits in other programs at Marywood or at other institutions. Students are allowed to apply a maximum of 18 transfer credits to their Master’s Degree, provided that these credits are in courses that are comparable with those offered in the Counseling Program. Transfer credits count toward the total number of graduate credits for each of the degree programs in which students have been accepted. All credits accepted for transfer must have been taken at the graduate level, and ordinarily been earned within the five previous calendar years from the date of admission. Students who wish to request a transfer of graduate credit must:

1. Be formally accepted in the Program.
2. Provide a syllabus of the proposed transfer course if the course is not CACREP accredited.
3. Provide an official transcript showing that the student earned a grade of “B” level or above in the course(s) to be transferred. Grades lower than “B” are not transferable.
4. Meet with one’s Advisor who will make a recommendation of approval of transfer.
5. Final written approval is made by the Program Coordinator with copies of the final determination placed in the student's file and mailed to the student.
6. Complete the Graduate Authorization for the Transfer of Credit form found on the Marywood website.