Undergraduate Core Curriculum Committee
Purpose & Function
The Undergraduate Core Curriculum Committee (UCCC):
- Reviews and makes recommendations related to the undergraduate core.
- Reviews and makes recommendations regarding proposals that will change the undergraduate core requirements for the entire undergraduate student body; before reaching a final recommendation, presents the proposal and distributes a ballot to all faculty members whose teaching responsibility is at least one-half on the undergraduate level.
- Reviews and discusses the analysis of core assessment data, makes recommendations to appropriate departments/colleges. This Committee should also review follow-up reports on how information has been disseminated and used for program improvement.
- Evaluates courses for inclusion within the core as satisfying core requirements.
Position Titles of Members on this USC:
- Director of the Undergraduate Core Curriculum
- One faculty member from each of the following areas that support the general education curriculum:
- Arts (chosen from Communication Arts, Music, Theatre, Dance, and Visual Arts)
- Modern Languages
- Social Sciences (chosen from Criminal Justice, Economics, Political Science, and Sociology)
- Mathematics and Computer Sciences
- Religious Studies
- Two faculty members from the College of Professional Studies (CPS)
- Two faculty members from the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS)
- Two Undergraduate Students
- One Consultant: Assistant Provost for Student Success
Method of Selection of Members:
Faculty representatives of departments, including the Faculty Representative from the Library, are elected as coordinated by the Faculty Senate.
Faculty representatives representing multiple departments or a College are elected as coordinated by the Faculty Senate.
Two Undergraduate Students are appointed by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
The remaining members on the UCCC are ex officio.
Selection of Chair and Vice or Co-Chair:
The UCCC elects its Chairperson or Co-Chairs from among its faculty membership at the beginning of the Fall Semester.
All faculty members of the UCCC, including the Chair/Co-Chairs, have voting privileges.
Non-voting members include:
- Director of the Undergraduate Core Curriculum
- Consultant: Assistant Provost for Student Success
- Undergraduate Students
Faculty – three-year term with the possibility of re-election for one additional consecutive term. Eligibility is effective again after a hiatus of one year.
Undergraduate Students - one-year term with possibility of renewal for up to three years.
The remaining members of the UCCC are ex officio.
Meetings are scheduled for three times each semester, but will meet only as necessary.
Documentation Requirements for this University Standing Committee
As provided in the University Standing Committee Policy, the Chair(s) of this University Standing Committee, in collaboration with the Office of the Secretary of the University and General Counsel, must provide the following documentation at the end of each Academic Year:
Annual Report: ☒Yes ☐ No
Minutes of Meetings: ☒Yes ☐ No
07/01/11 - Established as a University Standing Committee approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
07/01/13 - Title changed from DIrector of Assessment to Director of Learning Outcomes Assessment and Accreditation.
09/10/13 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs to reflect student appointments to be made by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
08/01/14 - Revision to include Consultants title changes - from Director of Learning Outcomes Assessment and Accreditation to Associate Vice President for Planning and Institutional Effectiveness; from Director of Academic Success Center to Assistant Vice President for Student Success
08/20/14 - Membership revision to reflect change in appointee responsibility from the Vice President for Academic Affairs to the Director of Library Services for the non-voting faculty member from the Learning Resources Center
08/22/14 - Revision to reflect faculty elections will be coordinated by the Election Committee for University Standing Committees
12/11/15 – Clarification of voting privileges of committee members, length of term in regard to re-election and editing names of academic areas approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.
07/01/18 - Title changed from Vice President for Academic Affairs to Provost. Title changed from Associate Vice President for Planning and Institutional Effectiveness to Assistant Provost. College name changed from Munley College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to College of Arts and Sciences.
07/01/18 - Due to Academic Restructuring the Provost, Dr. Susan C. Turell, recommended that the Deans, non-voting members, be removed from membership.
10/25/18 – The Description to the Undergraduate Core Curriculum Committee was revised by updating departmental representation to adequately handle the workload associated with implementation of the new Core and to ensure representation of areas beyond the traditional Core departments. The President of the University approved the revisions as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University.
11/03/21 – Title changes resulting from the update of the Organization of the University as per the President’s Memo dated 5/26/21; clarification edits; and the addition of the Documentation Requirements Section were reviewed and approved by the Co-Chairs of this committee and final approval was received from the Provost, the Reporting Area for this USC.