Undergraduate Curriculum CommitteePurpose & Function:
The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee, an advisory body to the Vice President for Academic Affairs on undergraduate curricular issues:
1. Reviews and approves all new courses and substantial changes to existing ones (i.e., changes that would require an alteration to the catalog’s course description), especially to ensure that courses do not overlap in content;
2. Reviews and approves proposals related to academic programs, including the creation of new programs and the viability of existing ones; and
3. Reviews and approves curriculum changes proposed by each department.
Membership & Selection:
The Committee elects its chariperson each srping from among its faculty membership.
- Chair of the Undergraduate Core Curriculum Committee
- Six faculty members, one from each academic unit (CLAS, RCEHD, ICCPA, CHHS, ARCH, and the Library), elected by faculty from the respective academic units. In addition, faculty from each unit will also elect an alternate in the event that the elected representative cannot attend a meeting. The coordination of elections is managed by the Election Committee for University Standing Committees.
- Five Academic Deans
- Two students, selected by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Non-voting members include:
Consultants attending include:
Associate Vice President for Planning and Institutional Effectiveness
Assistant Vice President for Student Success
Faculty – three years with possibility of re-election; no more than two consecutive terms.
Students – one year with possibility of renewal for up to three years.Meetings:
Meetings are held two to three times per semester, with additional meetings scheduled as needed.Reports To:
Vice President for Academic AffairsHistory:
03/28/03 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the Policy Committee of the University
05/23/05 - Title "Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs" changed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs to "Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management"
06/06/05 - Recommended lists from Student Life for the appointment of students to the undergraduate curriculum subcommittees no longer required, per the Vice President for Academic Affairs
02/20/06 - Two new responsibilities were added to the description, as approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs
03/01/08 - Title change to Vice President for Enrollment Managment
05/06/08 - Tiftle change to Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
11/19/10 - Delete "non-voting" from the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Registrar positions per Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
07/01/11 - Title changed to Vice President for Academic Affairs
2011- Description revision approved by Vice President for Academic Affairs
05/2012 - Description revision approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs
09/10/13 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President of Academic Affairs to reflect student appointments to be made by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
10/10/13 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs to reflect Academic Deans and Registrar as non-voting members
08/01/14 - Revision to include Consultants title changes - from Director of Learning Outcomes Assessment and Accreditation to Associate Vice President for Planning and Institutional Effectiveness; from Director of Academic Success Center to Assistant Vice President for Student Success
08/22/14 - Revision to reflect faculty elections will be coordinated by the Election Committee for University Standing Committees