Employee Health and Safety CommitteePurpose & Function:
The Employee Health and Safety Committee has three main functions:
- Detect hazards
- Analyze and solve problems related to safety and health
- Assist in the management of safety
In addition, the Committee
- strives to create a campus-wide awareness of the importance of safety;
- provides opportunities for discussion of issues related to accidents;
- reviews existing accident and illness prevention programs and plans education campaigns;
- establishes procedures for conducting and documenting the findings of periodic workplace inspection;
- accepts suggestions from the campus community related to a safe working environment;
- makes recommendations to correct hazards;
- reviews, in a timely manner, incidents resulting in work-related deaths, injuries, illnesses, and complaints;
- conducts evaluations on the effectiveness of new safety equipment;
- evaluates health and safety procedures.
Membership & Selection:
Managers (total not to exceed total non-supervisory staff):
Senior Director of Safety, Security and Environmental Compliance
Assistant Director of Building and Grounds
Human Resources Benefits Manager
Director of Student Health Services
Manager of Fiscal Operations/Risk Manager
Two full-time faculty members
At least one professional staff employee
One employee from the maintenance or grounds staff
At least one other employee from any hourly classification.
Guest: One liaison from Chartwells
One liaison from Follett
Chief of Campus Safety
Employees are appointed by the Vice President for Business Affairs.
Faculty members are appointed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Training is provided at least annually to members of the committee by a qualified accident and illness prevention person. Training includes a review of committee responsibilities, hazard identification and accident investigations.
Members are required to attend monthly meetings, participate in monthly inspections, and attend the required annual training. In addition, members attend and assist with monthly fire drills.Term:
Employees - three years with possibility of reappointment.
An appointment to fill a vacancy in an unexpired term is made from the same employment classification.
Faculty - one year with possibility of reappointment.
The Chair and the Secretary are elected annually with possibility of re-election.Meetings:
Meetings are called by the Chair at least once a month. A quorum (1/2+1) must be maintained at every meeting.
Agendas and minutes are distributed to committee members, the Vice President for Business Affairs, and are kept on file. An annual report is filed and retained by the Secretary of the University.Reports To:
Vice President for Business Affairs.History:
07/01/89 - Reaffirmed as Committee on Health Promotion with publication of the Faculty Manual 1.7.2, p. 32
02/17/95 - Revision approved by the President of the University as recommended by the College Committee on Policy
07/01/00 - Membership revised
10/30/02 - Revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
08/26/03 - Vice President for Business Affairs removed from membership per Vice President for Business Affairs
06/20/08 - Membership position was changed from Assistant Vice President for Human Resources to Manager from Human Resources.
05/00/07 - Revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
09/15/08 - Reviewed by both the Vice President for Human Resources and the Benefits Manager
07/01/12 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
03/20/13 - Membership revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs to include liaison from Follett