Conduct BoardPurpose & Function:
The Conduct Board
- hears a case when a student has been accused of a violation of conduct and the student has requested adjudication by the Board;
- interprets rules and regulations as they relate to individual incidents and community values;
- decides responsibility for alleged violations;
- determines sanctions up to and not including suspension or dismissal from the University;
- recommends suspension or dismissal from the University to the Dean of Students when
- determined necessary;
- files records of disciplinary hearings with the Dean of Students.
Membership & Selection:
Dean of Students (Chair)
Six full-time faculty members
One alternate faculty member
Six full-time undergraduate students
Three full-time graduate students
Faculty Members are appointed by the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate.
The alternate Faculty Member serves only if any regular full-time Faculty Member is unable to participate in a particular hearing (e.g., due to a conflict of interest).
Undergraduate students are appointed by the Executive Committee of the Student Government Association in consultation with the Vice President for Student Life.
Graduate students are appointed by the Graduate Student Council in consultation with the Vice President for Student Life.
A student is selected as the Chair for each hearing.
One member is selected to serve as recorder for each hearing.
Faculty - three years with possibility of reappointment
Students - one year with possibility of reappointment
Meetings are held at the request of the Dean of Students.
A panel of two faculty members and three students is drawn for a hearing. If the case in question involves a graduate level student, it is appropriate that graduate level students sit on the panel. Two faculty members and two students constitute a quorum.Reports To:
Vice President for Student Life
through the Dean of Students
04/24/03 - Revision approved by the Vice President for Student Life
08/26/04 - Role of the Dean of Students as Chair clarified by the Vice President for Student Life
09/23/09 - Title changed to Conduct Board by the Vice President for Student Life
10/10/12 - Revision approved by the Vice President for Student life to expand membership to include additional position of alternate faculty member.