Administrative and Professional Staff Development CommitteePurpose & Function:
Professional development is a broad term describing any of the various activities carried out by the professional staff for their personal and professional enrichment. Certain of these activities may be financially supported by Marywood University.
The major responsibilities of the committee are
- to advise, if requested, in the design or renewal of individual administrative or professional staff development Profiles, Plans, and Proposals;
- to accept or reject individual development plans on the basis of established objective criteria;
- to make recommendations to the Vice President for Business Affairs on proposals for Administrative and Professional Staff Development plans;
- to maintain sufficient records for at least five years, for evaluation purposes;
- to do ongoing evaluation and updating of Administrative and Professional Staff Development Committee policies and procedures;
- to submit an annual report of the program to the Vice President for Business Affairs, copied to the President of the University;
- to plan and conduct informational sessions and workshops concerning the program;
- to make recommendations to the President of the University, copied to the Vice President for Business Affairs, on requests for sabbatical leaves and on other presidential staff development initiatives.
Membership & Selection:
One Presidential professional staff member
One Academic Affairs professional staff member
One Business Affairs professional staff member
One Student Life professional staff member
One University Advancement professional staff member
Two at large representatives, one from University directors and one from the professional staff
Members are elected by the Professional Staff Senate from those in their respective employment classifications.
The Chair is elected annually in the spring by the members of the committee and takes office the following July 1.
Three years, with possibility of election for one additional consecutive term.Meetings:
Much of the business of the committee is done electronically. However, the committee should meet in person at least once a semester.Reports To:
Vice President for Business Affairs.History:
03/17/95 - Established by the President of the University as recommended by the College Committee on Policy
10/30/02 - Revision approved by the Vice President for Business Affairs
05/07/07 - The Acting Vice President for Business affairs determined that elections are conducted by the Professional Staff Senate.
02/03/10 - Description of meeting times changed to reflect that much of the business of the committee is done electronically.