Our comprehensive program will teach you to think on a multidimensional level. You'll learn strategic planning, integrated marketing and tactical execution techniques used in the advertising, public relations and special events industries. You'll be prepared for a career in these and other fields and will benefit from hands-on training in our computer labs, media production suites and from serving in leadership positions on the University's newspaper, The Wood Word.
The department also offers students a number of opportunities to enhance their education. These include professional internships, independent studies, and membership in professional and student-based organizations, such as the AAF and PRSSA.
Specifically, the program includes the following objectives:
- To teach the student advertising and public relations communication skills.
- To introduce the student to the characteristics of information and persuasion in the various mass media.
- To acquaint the student with demographic concepts and skills.
- To develop student skills in written and oral communication.
- To develop student skills in communication graphics, desktop publishing and PC-based presentation.
- To emphasize practical applications in advertising and public relations through integrated hands-on skills training as well as in-class and extracurricular activities.
- To explore integrated media concepts and their practical applications.