Student Status Regulations (Undergraduate)

Academic Standards

A student must attain a cumulative quality point average (QPA) of 2.00 to satisfy degree requirements. A minimum of 2.33 is required in one’s major. Some major programs require a higher QPA. Individual program descriptions provide specific information.

Good Standing – A student is in good standing when his/her cumulative quality point average is at least 2.00.

Semester Warning – Whenever the quality point average for a semester is less than 2.00, but the cumulative quality point average is 2.00 or better, the student will be warned.

Probation – A student will be placed on probation if a QPA of 1.00 is not achieved in any given semester or whenever his/her cumulative quality point average falls below 2.00. Probation is temporary; it is, therefore, not included in the student’s academic record.

The consequences of being on probation include:

  1. academic dismissal after one semester on probation, if the student’s QPA does not improve significantly;
  2. possible required reduction in credit load;
  3. ineligibility to participate in varsity athletics;
  4. ineligibility to hold office in Student Government;
  5. loss or reduction of financial aid.

Major Warning – A student will be placed on major warning if the quality point average in his/her major program falls below the 2.33 minimum (some majors require a higher QPA).

A first semester student’s quality point average is the same as his or her cumulative quality point average.

Continued Probation – If a student’s cumulative quality point average increases and, though still below 2.00, indicates possibility to attain the standards required for graduation, the student may be continued on probation for another semester.

Dismissal – Upon recommendation of the Grades and Academic Standing Committee, the appropriate dean will dismiss:

  1. a student who fails to improve her/his cumulative quality point average at the end of a semester or more on probation.
  2. a student whose cumulative quality point average increases, though still remaining below 2.00, if the student’s academic record indicates little potential for attaining the academic standards required for graduation. (Academic dismissal is recorded on the student’s academic record.)
  3. a student who has had previous but unconsecutive semesters on probation.
  4. a student who fails to achieve a 1.00 in any two semesters.
  5. Students may also be dismissed for other academic reasons, such as academic dishonesty.

Student Status

Classified Students

Students who have applied to and have been formally admitted by the Office of University Admissions to pursue a degree program are classified as follows:

First year students   - 0-29 credits completed
Sophomores  - 30-59 credits completed
Juniors  - 60-89 credits completed
Seniors  - 90 or more credits completed

The status of matriculating students is indicated by the name associated with the number of credits earned.

Non-Matriculating Students

Non-matriculating students may be taking courses for personal enrichment, transfer credit, and other non-degree purposes or in special educational programs offered through the University. These students are typically limited to a total of 12 undergraduate credits.

Undeclared Student Status

Students admitted to Marywood University, who are undecided about their major field of study or who, at the time of admission to the university, do not meet the admission standards of the desired major will be categorized as undeclared. Undeclared status is not a major, and students cannot receive a degree in this category.

Students admitted as undeclared, with a specific interest will be assigned to a faculty advisor within the department of the area of interest. Students accepted as undeclared, with an unspecified area of interest will be advised by specially trained professional staff in the Office of Retention and Advising. These advisors will assist students in developing an individualized academic plan which includes the utilization of liberal arts core courses to expose students to various areas of study. Introductory courses in an area of interest are also encouraged.

It is advisable for students to declare a major early in their university experience. It is recommended that first year students declare a major by the completion of 32 credits or the end of their first year. It is recommended that transfer students declare a major by the completion of 16 Marywood credits. Postponing the declaration of a major can delay degree completion. In addition, financial aid can be affected if degree programs are not completed within an appropriate time frame.

In order to declare one’s major, a change of major form should be obtained from the Academic Records Office or on the Marywood website, completed, and returned to that office.

Change of Major

Students are registered for the major reflected on the online Student Information System. Those who wish to change majors must complete the appropriate form, obtained at the Office of Academic Records or online. Students are required to obtain the signature of the chairperson(s) of the department(s) involved.

Leave of Absence

Matriculating students who will not be registered for Marywood credit during a given semester (fall/spring) should apply for a leave of absence. This includes:

  1. students who officially withdraw from courses but plan to resume their education at Marywood within two years;
  2. students who obtain credit from another institution in conjunction with a Marywood program;
  3. students who for any other reason will not be registered at the University for a semester or more.

Upon formal approval of the leave, a specific termination date by which a student must either enroll again or request an extension is assigned. A leave of absence, including extensions, is not given for more than two years. A student who does not enroll by the end of the leave of absence is considered to have voluntarily withdrawn from the University. The maximum of two years allowed on leave of absence applies even when those sessions are not consecutive.

Forms for leave of absence are available online.

Withdrawal from the University

To withdraw from the University, a student must complete an official withdrawal form available online.

Absence from class does not constitute notice of withdrawal. A student who discontinues attendance in classes without an official withdrawal will receive a grade of “F*” in all subjects concerned.

A former student may request reactivation within two years after withdrawal. After two years it is necessary to reapply to the University through the Admissions Office. The catalog which is current at that time will apply and previously earned academic credits will be evaluated in light of their age and applicability to the current curriculum.