Grades & Records Regulations (Undergraduate)

Undergraduate Grading System

The grading system adopted by the University is as follows:

  Quality Points  







Poor, but passing



Unofficial withdrawal; failure to resolve “I” or “X” grade



Not figured in QPA
W   Withdrew officially
WP   Withdrew officially with passing grade
WF   Withdrew officially with failing grade
X   Temporary delay in reporting final grade
S   Satisfactory
U   Unsatisfactory
AD   Audit

The standing “Incomplete” (I) is given to a student who has done satisfactory (C or better) work in a course but has not completed the course requirements because of illness or some other emergency situation. The student must submit to the course instructor a written request for the grade “I.” (Forms are available at the Office of Academic Records.) A faculty member is not permitted to assign “Incomplete” unless the student has requested it and is eligible under the above conditions. An “Incomplete” in a course taken for credit must be resolved within one month after the opening of the following semester or the grade becomes a permanent  “F*” or “U.” The student is responsible for making satisfactory arrangements with the teacher for completion of course requirements. After an “Incomplete” has been changed to a failing grade, a student must retake the course concerned to obtain credit.

The “X” indicates that credit for the semester work in the course is withheld pending completion of course requirements. Unlike the “I,” the “X” is initiated by the faculty member or, in certain circumstances, the registrar. The student will be given an opportunity to complete the final examination or project provided there is a valid reason for the delay. Lack of academic effort does not constitute a valid reason. The “X” grade must be resolved in the same manner as an “I.”

The standing “Failure” (F or F*) indicates that the student has not obtained any credit for the semester’s work. If it is a required course, it must be repeated.

Any grade, including “F” and “F*,” is retained on the student’s record, but is removed from the computation of the QPA when a student retakes the same course at Marywood and earns a higher grade in the retake. However, a student may retake a course only once.

Midterm Deficiency Grades

Each semester is divided into two quarters. At the end of the first quarter, faculty submit grades for undergraduate students whose work at that point is deficient in the “D+,” “D,” “F” or “U” range. The purpose of these grades is to help students avoid failure or unsatisfactory grades by informing them of the need to improve the quality of their work before final course grades are issued. Deficiency grades are NOT calculated into a student’s QPA.

Confidentiality of Student Records

Marywood University intends to comply fully with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended. This act was designated to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate or misleading data through informal and formal hearings. A policy statement explains in detail the procedures used by Marywood for compliance with the provisions of the act. Copies of the policy statement can be obtained at the Office of the Registrar or accessed on the University website.

Students with Disabilities

The Office of Disability Services assists Marywood University in ensuring that qualified students with disabilities are afforded and given access to the same or equal educational opportunities available to other University students, as mandated by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. For more information, please contact the Office of Disability Services.

Academic Records

A student who believes that an error has been made in assignment of a grade must initiate immediate contact with the instructor of the course; any changes made by the faculty member must be made within 90 days of the end of the semester for which the grade was assigned, or in the case of resolution of an “I” or “X” grade, within 90 days of the filing of that grade.

The student is responsible for reporting in writing to the Office of Academic Records any other error on the academic record within 30 days after a grade or other academic record report is available to the student. Marywood University will not be liable for unreported errors on student records.

Academic Appeal

Students with sufficient cause to file an academic appeal should initiate the process according to the procedures established for such action. Academic Appeals procedures are available from all department offices and in the Offices of the Deans.

Grade appeals must be made within 60 days of the end of the semester in which the grade was assigned or the grade was filed with the Registrar. 


A transcript is issued only upon the written request of the student. A transcript form (or letter) should be submitted for each transcript requested. Request forms are available at the Office of Academic Records and on the registrar’s web page.

An official transcript (one bearing the University seal) is normally sent directly to the school district, business, etc. indicated by the student. An unofficial student copy may be sent directly to a student upon request. A fee is charged for each transcript.

Marywood University will not forward the transcript of any student who has a financial indebtedness to the University.