Application Process (Graduate)

Students seeking admission to a doctoral or master's degree, certificate, or certification program must apply for admission through the Office of University Admissions.All applicants must submit the following information:

  1. The application form properly completed, including the non-refundable application fee payment if the application is not submitted online.
  2. Unopened official transcripts of all previous academic work, including any academic work completed at Marywood.
  3. Two letters of reference from persons familiar with the student's educational background and work. Doctoral applicants are required to submit three letters of recommendation.
  4. Specific departmental requirements as listed in the department's description of the course of study for which application is being submitted.

Students seeking state certification must also contact the University's Certification Office at 570-961-4731 for specific additional requirements.

When all required materials have been received at the Office of University Admissions, they will be forwarded to the applicant's department of specialization for review. Applicants should expect a review process which may take up to 15 days from final application submission or from the published deadline for receipt of applications, whichever is later. After the departmental review and assessment of the application is completed, the applicant will be informed in writing by the Office of University Admissions of the specific action taken concerning the request for admission. The various student statuses at the graduate level are defined later in this catalog.

Late applicants who cannot or do not submit complete credentials within their applications for departmental review may take classes only under the personal enrichment or admission-in-process category. Such students are limited in the numbers of credit hours for which they may enroll. Students who are denied admission by an academic area are not permitted to pursue personal enrichment within that area of study.

Marywood University operates on a rolling admissions basis. However, certain programs have specific deadlines for admission applications. A number of programs only review applications during certain times of the year. Please contact the Office of University Admissions or the academic department to which you are applying to find out if this applies to your field of study.

Graduate courses are offered in the fall, spring, and summer sessions. Applicants to any course of study other than the Ph.D., Psy.D., Physician Assistant, or Speech-Language Pathology programs may be admitted in any of these sessions, but must check with their appropriate chairpersons to be advised properly concerning when beginning courses will be available and the consequences of being admitted in a particular semester other than the fall semester.

Students seeking admission to the Biotechnology, Counseling, Ed.S., Ph.D., PsyD., Physician Assistant, Social Work, or Speech-Language Pathology programs should consult the section of the catalog related to their program for details on the application process.

Incoming students who wish to defer their enrollment from their intended semester of entry and have paid the non-refundable deposit will be subject to a deferral fee.