Student Status (Graduate)

Student Status Categories

A student may be enrolled in a Marywood University graduate program with either regular status or special status. "Regular" status refers to that of a student who is admitted by the University and who is pursuing a course of studies leading to a master's degree or doctoral degree. Students who have not yet been admitted to matriculation or who do not intend to earn a master's or doctoral degree are given "special" status. The following categories of status are used within the graduate programs:

  • Regular-This status is assigned to those students who are pursuing a course of study leading to a master's or doctoral degree.
  • Provisional-Students who have been given provisional acceptance remain in a special status category until they have fulfilled all conditions of their letter of acceptance.
  • Admission in Process-A student who has applied to seek a graduate level degree is in a special status, non-degree-seeking category until all necessary paperwork, letters of reference, fees, tests, and departmental evaluations have been completed. It is the student's obligation to see that the required materials for application completion are sent to the Office of University Admissions on a timely basis, normally within five months of the date of application.
  • Certificate Program-A student who has been accepted to pursue a program of study leading to a Marywood University certificate with no specific relationship to state certification or any professional body is in a special status, non-degree seeking category.
  • Certification-A student accepted to a program of study which fulfills requirements for state certification in such areas as education, school psychology, counselor education, and special education is in a special status, non-degree seeking category.
  • Transfer-A visitor from another educational institution whose purpose is to transfer credit back to the home institution is in a special status, non-degree seeking category.
  • Enrichment-A person enrolled in a course without reference to a specific, organized goal recognized by any graduate program is in a special status, non-degree seeking category.

Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS)

This certificate program is an individually oriented program designed to meet the needs of students for advanced study in Counseling and Art. Each student, with an assigned advisor, can plan his/her program of studies and draw up a contract which will be reviewed each semester until completion of the program.

Student Reporting Classification

A graduate student who is enrolled for six or more credits in a given semester is reported as full-time for that semester. A student who is enrolled for less than six credits in a given semester is considered as part-time for that semester. Students enrolled in three credits are reported as half-time for that semester. In certain instances, governmental or agency regulations supersede the Marywood definition.

Admission to Degree Candidacy

Admission to graduate study as a fully admitted student does not assure admission to candidacy for a degree. A separate and thorough assessment of the degree candidate's progress and work for candidacy will be made by the department within which candidacy is sought. When a department admits a student to degree candidacy, it does so as an expression of a firm belief that the quality of work that a degree-seeking student has completed gives strong evidence of significant potential for successful advanced study within the degree area. Students achieving marginally passing grades in their beginning courses may be dropped from the degree program at the time of review for failing to make a strong case for their continued candidacy.

To be eligible for candidacy a student must:

  1. File an application for admission to candidacy with the Chairperson or Administrator, according to the criteria of the department and upon completion of twelve hours of graduate work (30 hours in the doctoral program) with a "B" average. Application forms are available in the deans' offices and in department offices.
  2. Meet all prerequisites required by the department as listed in this catalog and the program handbook.

Notification of admission to candidacy is given in writing by the Chairperson of the department.

Standards for Continuance

All graduate students must maintain a cumulative QPA of at least 3.00 to remain in good academic standing and to earn the degree. (NOTE: Some academic departments or programs have published requirements that are higher than the minimum University standards for good academic standing.) Additionally, a graduate student whose cumulative QPA falls below 3.00 will be placed on academic probation.

If placed on academic probation, the student is required to achieve at least a 3.00 cumulative QPA within the completion of the next three courses (typically nine credits) or s/he may be subject to dismissal. A student who obtains two failing grades (“F,” “F*,” and in some programs “U”) in a program, for whatever reason, will be dismissed from the University.

Leave of Absence Policy

The University will consider a serious student-initiated petition for leave of absence from studies in any degree program. Students who cannot actively pursue their degree studies for more than two consecutive semesters (including summer sessions) are well advised to seek a department approved leave of absence. Without any documented and approved leave of absence recorded, students will be held strictly accountable to the seven-year time limit for degree completion.

The time limit applies to all degree requirements including a degree candidate's professional contribution and any other degree closure experiences/requirements. Failure to return to graduate studies by the specified date from an approved leave of absence will result in the administrative withdrawal of the student from Marywood by the Registrar.

No leave of absence will be granted without the prior approval of the appropriate dean. The maximum additional time permitted through any combination of leaves of absence within one degree is two calendar years. Leave of absence petitions must generally be filed with the department/program at least two months prior to the semester they are proposed to take effect.

Withdrawal from the University

A matriculating student who desires to withdraw from Marywood must notify the Registrar’s Office and appropriate dean in writing. If enrolled in classes, ordinary procedures for withdrawing from courses and the University's published time line apply. Absence from class does not constitute notice of withdrawal from a course. A student who discontinues attendance at classes without withdrawing officially will receive "F*" in all courses concerned.

Continuous enrollment and consistent progress toward a degree in each academic year is an expectation of the University for all matriculating students. A matriculating student who has not completed any credits toward the degree in a two-year period may be administratively withdrawn from the program.


A former matriculating student who wishes to return after having been withdrawn must reapply for admission. The catalog which is current at the time of readmission will apply. If the student's bid for readmission is successful, previously earned academic credits will be evaluated in light of their age and applicability to the current curriculum by the appropriate chairperson or administrator.