Working After Graduation

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Overview

Optional Practical Training (OPT) provides F-1 students with an opportunity for hands-on work experience (work authorization) related to their academic field of study.

You are eligible to apply if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are currently in F-1 status.
  • You have been enrolled in a full course of study for one academic year (three quarters, including final exams weeks) or will complete one academic year by the date the OPT approval begins.
  • You have not exceeded 12 months of full-time Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization. (Part-time CPT does not affect OPT eligibility.)
  • You do not need a job offer first; you can apply for OPT without a job offer.

To apply, please visit the Marywood University Registrars office, LAC-96.

Follow the link for further information:

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary authorization for practical training directly related to your major field of study. Your major field of study is listed on your I-20.
"Practical training" can include employment, internship experience (paid or unpaid), cooperative (co-op) education experience, practicum participation, etc. You can apply for CPT during the regular academic year (you must remain registered full-time) and during your annual vacation quarter.

CPT may be part-time (20 hours per week or less) or full-time (more than 20 hours per week). If you accumulate 12 months of full-time CPT authorization, you lose your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT), another type of employment authorization for F-1 students. Part-time CPT and fewer than 12 months of full-time CPT authorization does not affect your OPT eligibility.

To apply, please visit the Marywood University Registrars office, LAC-96.

Follow these links for further information

H1- B Information

International students are required to have a work visa (H1-B) to continue working in the United States beyond their OPT.  H1-B is an immigrant classification for temporary employment in a specialized occupation.  For information on H1-B employers, please visit the Marywood Univeristy Passport Career website.  Upon logging in, select H1-B Employers located in the top ribbon

Please follow the link below to obtain more information on the H1-B visa.