UPDATE: All programs have been cancelled.
Marywood University’s Professional Continuing Education department will offer a 120-Hour Long-Term Care Nursing Home Administration (NHA) Program during the spring 2020 academic semester.
Each of the courses is approved for 7.5 continuing education hours by the Pennsylvania State Board of Examiners of Nursing Home Administrators.
Dates, programs, and presenters planned for the spring 2020 academic semester include:
- January 23, 2020—Social Services, Family and Community Relationships, and Patient Rights with Maria Hastie, MPA, NHA, outreach coordinator at Geisinger Life Center; and John R. O’Brien, Esq., partner in the law firm of Oliver, Price & Rhodes, Scranton, Pa.
- January 24, 2020—Personnel Management and Labor Relations with Jim Silkworth, vice president of human resources at the United Methodist Homes, Binghamton, N.Y. Mr. Silkworth has more than 25 years of experience as a human resources executive.
- February 21, 2020—Medicare PPS Case Mix and Third-Party Reimbursement with James Miller, NHA, commandant at the Gino J. Merli Veterans Center, Scranton, Pa.
- February 22, 2020—Diseases of Aging, Death, and Dying with Peggy Steinberg, ACSW, LMSW. Ms. Steinberg served as the director of social work at Lourdes Hospital, Binghamton, N.Y. for 18 years. She continues to consult for Hospice and operates a private practice, the Grief Loss Recovery Center, Clarks Summit, Pa.
- March 19, 2020—Rehabilitation Services and Special Care with Gary Duncan, OTR/L, who served as a director of rehabilitation in a long-term care facility.
- March 20, 2020—Nutrition and Dietary Needs of the Long-Term Care Resident with Karen Howard, RN, RD. Ms. Howard has more than 20 years of experience working in long-term care. She is currently working as a diabetes educator for Geisinger Healthcare. She continues to work on as consulting basis for several long-term care facilities.
- April 16, 2020—Facility Support Services: Building, Grounds, Housekeeping, Laundry, and Central Supply with Kevin Urian, director of environmental services at Wayne Woodlands Manor, Waymart, Pa.
- April 17, 2020—Preparing for Licensure: Certification Surveys and Meeting the Other Regulatory Requirements with Noelle Lyon-Kovaleski, NHA, center executive director at the Carbondale Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Carbondale, Pa. She also serves as the vice president for Northeast Pennsylvania Long-Term Care Association.
All courses will run on the dates listed from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., in the Swartz Center for Spiritual Life, on Marywood University’s campus. Each course is $140. The NHA Refresher only is $525. For additional information, or to register, please visit www.marywood.edu/adultconted/professional-conted/index.html, or call Carolyn M. Bonacci, director of professional continuing education, at (570) 340-6061.