Internships / Fieldwork

Photo of Karen Reid

Karen Reid

BFA Sculpture 2002, MA Sculpture Marywood University 2008
Studio Artist

"At Marywood my passion for the arts was nourished in a stimulating creative studio environment by skilled faculty who encouraged exploration into new directions."

More Alumni testimonials »

Internships / Fieldwork Experience

Marywood University acknowledges the necessity of integrating academic course work and practical experience in the total learning process within many major areas of study. As a result, the University maintains strong and active affiliations with a number of cooperating agencies wherein students can gain these competencies, typically as upper division students. These arrangements are defined specifically at the departmental level and include titles such as: “field experience,” “clinical practicum,” “internship,” and “student teaching.” Each is designed to provide the opportunity of transferring theoretical paradigms to practical situations.


Internships / Fieldwork Experience FAQs

Before you look for an internship, meet with your advisor or a faculty member in your area to discuss your goals and the process.

  • What is Fieldwork? It is a 60- or 90-hour paid or unpaid internship in your field, which works out to roughly 6-8 hours per week over the course of a semester. These two-credit (60hrs) or three-credit (90hrs) courses earn a grade of Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U). Most of the jobs will be on site, so you get valuable experience working with business owners and other employees in a real work environment. It is a win-win for everyone!
  • When do I do it? It is suggested you do it in your Junior or Senior year. It can be done any semester or during the summer to fit your schedule.
  • Can I do it over the summer? Yes. If you do the internship over the summer, you will need to register and pay for Fieldwork Experience as a summer course.
  • Do I need a resume and portfolio? At minimum you should have a resume that you can email when trying to obtain your internship. Be prepared to show your work in a portfolio during an interview. Students must have a professional portfolio completed with the required number of pieces, approved by their supervisor, before field experience can be arranged.
  • How do I find somewhere to work? The art department has standing internship opportunities with many local companies that we can easily direct you to. Some research can uncover other opportunities that directly fill your needs, and Marywood Career Services maintains lists of local internship opportunities. Speak with your faculty advisor to develop a plan for locating a suitable internship site.
  • What paperwork do I need to complete? Students may request an internship packet from their Marywood Fieldwork Coordinator, or they may pick up an internship packet from the main art office located in lobby of the Shields Center for Visual Arts (VAC). When you secure your internship, you must have the Fieldwork Experience contract (found in the beginning of the packet) signed by your fieldwork site supervisor, your faculty advisor, the art department chair, and the University president before you begin. If you fail to obtain the signatures before you start, your internship credits will not be approved. Read the packet carefully; there are instructions and forms to fill out as you work through your internship. Discuss with your faculty advisor before starting to fill out the forms. Upon completion of the internship hours, the completed internship packet must be turned into your faculty advisor along with a two-page essay explaining your experience.

For additional questions, contact your faculty advisor, fieldwork coordinator, or the Art Department Chair at: (570) 348-6278 or