"Marywood allowed me to grow in a safe environment. Because of the small class size, I was able to express myself which was really important in boosting my confidence level. I believe this prepared me for leadership roles in my arts administration career."
— Greek and Roman Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art
(BA Arts Administration, Marywood University)
The following is a partial list of the most widely used art supplies during Foundation Year that you may want to purchase prior to the beginning of classes. In addition to this basic list, each teacher may have specific requirements or suggestions. Many supplies are sold at the Marywood University Bookstore and kits may be available.
Basic supplies needed for the Fall Semester
- Drawing board-large enough to hold 18” x 24” drawing paper (masonite or wood) - masonite is sturdy but lightweight
- Portfolio (Vinyl or Manila) the manila is less expensive, but will get you through the year
- Newsprint tablet 18” x 24”
- All-purpose white drawing paper 18” x 24”
- Bristol Pad 11” x 14”
- Sketch pad, 100 sheets, 9” x 12” (possible visual journal)
- Graphite lead pencils 2H, HB, 2B, 4B, 6B
- Ebony pencils (soft, rich, black)
- Black Prismacolor pencils (4)
- Conte’ crayon various colors (make sure they are soft)
- Charcoal vine 6A or medium hardness
- Charcoal compressed Austrian #3 or equivalent
- Kneaded erasers (2)
- Pink pearl erasers (2)
- Masking tape
- White artists tape
- X-Acto knife
- Utility knife and blades
- Black India Ink (waterproof) such as Higgins 1 fl. Oz.
- Winsor and Newton designer’s gouache - Primary set of six-14 ml
- Flat brush .” watercolor (sheep/nylon head will cost less than sable)
- Two watercolor brushes pointed round, No. 4 and No. 6 (same as above)
- Sketch box or tackle box for containing/carrying supplies.
- 15” metal ruler
The following are specific to Art 212 (3-D Design):
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Three (3) disposable dust masks
- Safety goggles or glasses
- Sandpaper (assorted pack), fine, medium, and coarse
- One 2-gallon disposable plastic paint pail
Supplies specific to Art 233 (Painting I) are listed in Art 233 Course Outline that appears online in the Foundation Student Guidebook.