Dr. Barbara Parker-Bell
Assistant Professor of Art
| ext 2200
Shields Center for Visual Arts 202
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 2008
Degree: Doctor of Psychology
- Lesley College Graduate School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, November 2006
Degree: Masters of Science in Clinical Psychology
- Institute for the Arts and Human Development, May 1985
Degree: Master of Arts, Expressive Therapy,
- University of Michigan, School of Art, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Degree: Bachelor of Fine Arts, (Magna Cum Laude) December 1980
- Director, Fall 2001-Present, Assistant Professor, Graduate Art Therapy Program, Marywood University, Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Coordinator, Undergraduate Art Therapy Program, Marywood University, Scranton, Pennsylvania
Professional Registration and Certification
- LPC - Licensed Professional Counselor #PC003215, 2003-Present
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- A.T.R.-BC (Board Certified Art Therapist ), 1996-Present
- A.T.R. (Registered Art Therapist), 1988-Present
- Elected Member of the American Art Therapy Association (AATA) Board of Directors, 2008
- Professional Member: AATA
- Member: American Psychology Association
- Fourth Author," Art Therapists and Computer Technology," Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 2005, 22, 139-149.
- "Embracing a Future with Computers and Art Therapy," Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association, 1999, 4, 180-185.
- "Exploring Possibilities: Art Research on the Internet." Collage: Annual Journal of the Kansas Art Education Association, 1999, pp.9-13.
- "Masterpiece Mansion: A CD:ROM Review," Collage: Annual Journal of the Kansas Art Education Association, 1999, pp. 19-22.
- "The Spirit of the Standards: An Art Therapist's Viewpoint," in " Annual Journal of the Kansas Art Education Association, 1997, 11-13.
- Clinical work featured in "Art Therapy: Metaphors into Reality." In Portfolio, October/November 1990.
Papers, Presentations, and Professional Workshops
- Exploring Professional Caregiver Experiences," Presentation for Marywood University Dept. of Nursing and Public Administration Education Forum, September 2008.
- The Marriage of Art Therapy and Computers: For Better or for Worse," Invited Speaker, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA,., April 2006.
- "Adapting for Art and Soul Survival: Learning from the Masters," Presenter for Marywood University, 9th Annual Art Therapy Symposium, Scranton, PA, May 2006.
- "Looking at the Book not the Cover: Exploring Diversity in Self and Others," Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency, Housing Services Conference, June, 2006.
- "Techniques for Stress Management," Presentation for Administration, Faculty and Staff, College Misericordia, Dallas, PA, December 2006.
- "Creative Applications of Art Therapy and Computer Technologies" Caldwell College and the New Jersey Art Therapy Association Annual Art Therapy Conference, March, 2003.
- "Digital Spirit: Connecting and Communicating with Internet Art Exchanges" Paper presentation with Marla Nicolo, ATR-BC, AATA Annual Conference, November 2002.
- "Diversity in Computer Art Therapy Applications: Strengthening Communication and Creativity" Panelist on five-member panel of Art Therapy and Technology, AATA Annual Conference, November 2002.
- "The Multifacetted Palette," Panelist/ Presenter of professional art work and artist statements addressing the potential for Art Therapy and Computer Work. AATA Annual Conference, November 2001.