Mathematics: Secondary Education
Graduates of this program will:
- Know and understand mathematics substantially beyond that which they may be expected to teach;
- Relate that mathematics to the world of the student;
- Make the pupil aware of the role of mathematics in our culture and of the relationship between mathematics and the natural and social sciences;
- Plan and implement a program of learning in mathematics for students of varying backgrounds and abilities;
- Evaluate the learning process through a variety of methods and set up an environment conducive to learning;
- Recognize learning disabilities and know the appropriate measures to take in such cases.
For the Math/Secondary Education major, 66 credits are required in the core curriculum. Students interested in the Math/Secondary Education program should consult the Education Department for a description of admission and retention criteria. The curriculum is subject to change, based on guidelines established by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Degree: Bachelor of Science - BS
Munley College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Mathematics and Computer Science
Student/Faculty Ratio: 13:1
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Pennsylvania Department of Education
Office of University Admissions
Chairperson: Chaogui Zhang, Ph.D.
Department of Mathematical Sciences