Marywood University Admissions

students in learning commons window

We welcome transfer students at all stages of their college careers.

We welcome transfer students at all stages of their college careers.

    Apply to Marywood using our official online application
    Apply to Marywood University using the Common Application

    Applying for Admission: Transfer Students

    Complete the Application
    If using Marywood's online application for admission, please create an account before beginning the process. Once you have created an account, sign in and complete the Undergraduate online application. Marywood also accepts the Common Application.  The $35 application fee is waived when you submit the Marywood online application or Common Application. If you wish to complete a paper version, please download and print.

    Request official copies of your high school and college transcripts (from all previous colleges attended) be sent to University Admissions. If applicable, please forward an official score report from the General Education Development (GED) test.

    Writing Sample/Essay
    Submit an essay of at least 250 words.

    Essay topics may include:

    • Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.  
    • The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
    • Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
    • Describe a problem you've solved or a problem you'd like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a research query, an ethical dilemma - anything that is of personal importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to you and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
    • Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
    • Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
    • Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.

    Recommendation Letter
    You may use our recommendation form.  Please complete and print.  Or you can provide one letter of recommendation from a school-based counselor or academic teacher. We also welcome additional letters from teachers, friends, or family members who are familiar with your academic achievements and interests. 

    Department Requirements
    You also may need to meet additional department-specific requirements. Contact the academic department or University Admissions for details.

    All documents submitted in connection with the application become the property of the University.


    When to Apply

    Marywood University admits students on a rolling admissions basis, but it is highly encouraged that transfer students apply no later than three weeks before classes begin in order to have access to the classes that best fit their schedule and academic track.

    It may take 2-3 weeks to render an admissions decision after all required documentation is received, so don’t delay — apply today.

    View Marywood's 2018-2019 Academic Schedule

    Semester/Term Start End Last Day to Register
    Spring '18 January 17, 2018 May 12, 2018 January 25, 2018
    May Term '18 May 21, 2018 June 9, 2018 May 22, 2018
    Summer I '18 June 11, 2018 July 14, 2018 June 13, 2018
    Summer II '18 July 16, 2018 August 18, 2018 July 18, 2018
    Fall '18 August 27, 2018 December 15, 2018 September 4, 2018
    ExceptionsCommunication Sciences and Disorders applicants must apply to transfer by March 1 for fall semester entry.

    Transfer Scholarships & Financial Aid

    For more information, please visit the Financial Aid website's Transfer page

    Undergraduate University-Funded Scholarships

    Trustees’ Scholarships

    This scholarship is awarded to students with exceptional academic achievements. Both freshmen and transfer students are eligible for consideration for this award.

    Award: $22,000 Freshman; $15,000 Transfer

    Centennial Scholarships

    This scholarship recognizes both freshmen and transfer students.

    Award: $20,000 Freshman; $12,000 Transfer

    Deans’ Scholarships

    This scholarship is awarded to both freshmen and transfer students.

    Award: $18,000 Freshman; $10,000 Transfer

    Success Awards

    This grant assists students who have demonstrated academic ability.

    Award: $14,000 Freshman; $8,000 Transfer

    Opportunity Award

    This award assists first-time freshmen.

    Award: $12,000 (Freshman Only Award)

    Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship

    Transfer students who are members of Phi Theta Kappa may be eligible for a special scholarship for members of this honor society.

    Award: $1,500 per year

    Sibling Award

    Established in honor of Marywood's Centennial celebration.

    Award: $1,500 - $3,000

    Talent Awards

    Talent Awards are made to students who demonstrate outstanding proficiency in music or art.

    Maxis-Gillet Service Awards

    Marywood grants Maxis-Gillet Service Awards to undergraduate students, including incoming freshmen, who have demonstrated outstanding service to the community and are commited to continuing that service at Marywood.

    Award: Twenty $2,500.00 service awards

    Liguori Grant

    This is a need-based, institutionally funded grant. Recipients are determined by Marywood University.

    Award: Varies

    Transfer FAQ


    Does Marywood accept credit for CLEP exams or life experience?

    Yes, Marywood awards credit for CLEP exams. Marywood follows the American Council on Education's (ACE) recommendations for awarding credit. Students who have completed CLEP exams should have their official scores sent to Marywood.

    Marywood University offers a portfolio process for students who have significant life experience that could potentially take the place of one of Marywood's courses. A portfolio workshop for all students is held twice a year: once in the fall semester and once in the spring semester. Interested students should contact the Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment for additional information.

    Does Marywood accept AP credits

    Yes, Marywood accepts AP credits provided the student has earned a grade of '3' or higher. Students should contact the College Board and have their AP scores sent directly to Marywood. Marywood does not accept AP scores from high school transcripts.

    How do I schedule my courses?

    For a student's first semester at Marywood, the student will meet with the Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment (CPLA) to schedule classes. The CPLA will put together a schedule for the student based on the transfer credits and Marywood's core curriculum and program requirements. At the meeting, the CPLA and the student will discuss the schedule, make any changes, and register for classes. In future terms, students will meet with an academic advisor in the academic department to discuss course choices and the student may register online.

    What credits will Marywood not consider in transfer?

    While recognizing the value of all learning, Marywood is unable to award credit for the following courses:

    • Developmental courses
    • ESL courses
    • Technical courses (such as Automotive or Circuit courses)

    Credits from institutions that are not regionally accredited will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

    How many credits will Marywood accept in transfer?

    A course-by-course evaluation will be conducted by the Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment to determine the number of credits a student will receive in transfer. Typically, no more than 60 credits are accepted in transfer; however, there are exceptions.  

    At least 42 credits must be taken in order to receive a Marywood degree (minimum of 30 credits for a student transferring into a program as part of a pre-approved articulation agreement with another school).  Ordinarily at least one-half of the credits required for a major must also be earned at Marywood.


    How will I know what credits transfer?

    The Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment will conduct a credit evaluation once all transcripts have been received. The evaluation will be e-mailed to the student at the address provided on the student's application.

    Does Marywood offer evening and/or online courses?

    Marywood offers evening courses and some online courses. Some undergraduate courses are 'hybrid' courses with portions of the class being held online. See course descriptions for additional information.

    What do I do if I do not know which major I want to pursue?

    Marywood accepts students as 'Undeclared/Undecided'. Students who come in under this designation must declare a major by the end of their second semester. Students who do not meet the QPA requirements for a specific program may be accepted as 'Undeclared/With Interest In'. These students' academic success will be evaluated at the end of their first semester by the individual academic department.

    Are there specific scholarships available for transfer students?

    Marywood awards merit-based scholarships to transfer students.

    Additionally, transfer students that are members of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) are eligible for a $1500 scholarship per year. Students must have proof of membership, a 3.5 QPA, and an earned Associate's degree.

    How long will it take me to graduate?

    Most transfer students can expect to spend a minimum of 2.5 years at Marywood to earn their degree. In some instances, this could be shorter or longer depending on the student's degree program, number of transfer credits, and number of credits taken per semester at Marywood. 

    At least 42 credits must be taken in order to receive a Marywood degree (minimum of 30 credits for a student transferring into a program as part of a pre-approved articulation agreement with another school). Ordinarily at least one-half of the credits required for a major must also be earned at Marywood.


    What is the minimum grade required for transfer?

    Marywood requires a grade of 'C' or better for transfer. Grades of 'C-' are not transferable. Courses that are graded Pass/No Pass or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory will be considered if the 'P' or 'S' grade is equivalent to a 'C'.

    What is the minimum GPA requirement for transfer students?

    Marywood requires a GPA of 2.25 on a minimum of 12 transfer credits. Different programs at Marywood (for example Architecture and Education) may require a higher GPA for transfer students.

    How is my GPA calculated?

    Grades do not transfer to Marywood, only credits. A student's QPA (quality point average) at Marywood is calculated based on courses completed only at Marywood or through the University of Scranton consortium agreement.

Transfer Days:

  • January 3, 2019
  • January 10, 2019

Complete an application for admission, discuss financial aid and scholarship options, and review your credits for transfer eligibility.

Transfer Days:

  • January 3, 2019
  • January 10, 2019

Complete an application for admission, discuss financial aid and scholarship options, and review your credits for transfer eligibility.

Our Coordinator of Transfer Enrollment, Christina Menn, is ready to assist you.

Call or email Christina
570-348-6234 x2437

Upcoming Events

Meet Briana

Music, Theatre, and Dance Major

When I first came to campus, I fell in love instantly.

see all Ambassador profiles »

Meet Chris

Communication Arts Alum

I wouldn't be where I am today without the opportunities Marywood afforded me.

see all Alumni profiles »